The Magical Music of The Listening Program® is one of the most valuable tools in The Healing Atelier’s treasure chest. Many have heard of the Mozart Effect, attesting to the ability of music to enhance intelligence in young children. More recently, we are learning of the power of music to heal the brain from a wide variety of injuries and diseases. Tex’s story
Scientists have learned that our ability to function in the world depends on our ability to accurately process all the sounds we hear. As scientific understanding has advanced, auditory enhancement systems have been developed to help people overcome auditory processing deficits. The Listening Program is the next generation of auditory processing and sensory integration programs - the most technologically advanced enhanced music program available. It is Magical Music.
What is The Listening Program?
The Listening Program is a collection of classical music designed to stimulate brain function through psychoacoustic enhancement which is based on scientific research and clinical evidence. The music is recorded to a dedicated iPod nano and is listened to using specialized bone-conduction earphones. The music is masterfully played, and is available with or without nature sounds. Children especially are entertained with the novel sounds of nature.
Benefits of the Listening Program
Systematic training is provided by listening to psycho-acoustically modified classical music that trains the brain to process sound more efficiently. This leads to improvements in:
- Sensory Processing
- Social Engagement
- Self Regulation
- Musical Ability
- Brain Fitness
Who can benefit from The Listening Program?
People of all ages can benefit from The Listening Program including those who:
- Want to maintain or improve mental clarity, adeptness, and quickness
- Want to improve memory and concentration, and creativity
- Are recovering from stroke or traumatic and idiopathic brain injuries
- Are experiencing the early stages of Alzheimer’s Disease or dementia
- Have auditory processing deficits
- Have difficulty paying attention, self-regulating, socializing, expressing themselves, and discriminating between choices
- Have autism, ADHD, autism spectrum disorder
- Have a history of ear infections
- Have speech, vocal control and language impairments
- Have poor muscle tone, balance, coordination and posture
To schedule an appointment, please contact Dr. St. Charles, Ph.D. by phone at 408.356.8987 or 408.499.6291 or email DocElize@thehealingatelier.com
How does The Listening Program work?
The Listening Program is based on decades of research and clinical findings in music theory, neurology, psychoacoustics, psychology, physiology, engineering, and mathematics. It is most heavily influenced by the French auditory research pioneer, Alfred A. Tomatis, an ear, nose, and throat specialist. In the 1950’s, Dr. Tomatis developed a system to better understand the functions of the auditory cortex, its relationship to other parts of the brain, and its related body and mind functions. In a nut shell, his ground-breaking research outlined the effect of sound frequencies on certain cognitive and physical abilities.
Specific Frequencies for Specific Functions
The auditory cortex can be compared to a bureau with four drawers, as follows:
- The first drawer processes frequencies in the range of 0-750 Hz, and is represented by Zone 1 (the color green) in The Listening Program. It deals with sensory integration including balance, rhythm, coordination, muscle tone, body awareness, left/right discrimination, and sense of direction.
- The second drawer processes frequencies in the range of 500-4000 Hz, and is represented by Zone 2 (the color orange) in The Listening Program. It is involved in speech and language skills including memory, concentration, attention, language usage, and vocal control.
- The third drawer processes frequencies in the range of 4,000-20,000 Hz, and is represented by Zone 3 (the color red) in The Listening Program. It affects energy, intuition, ideas, creativity, and auditory cohesion.
- The fourth drawer combines and integrates the activities of the other three, and is represented by the Full Spectrum (the color blue) in The Listening Program.
Each 'drawer' is connected to other parts of the brain. When any of these drawers is not opening and closing effortlessly, the related functions or skills are not working optimally. The Listening Program trains the drawers to open and close smoothly in a coordinated manner.
Appropriate Auditory Stimulation
The Listening Program teaches the auditory cortex to function better by applying psychoacoustic techniques to classical music, in addition to 'warm-up, work-out and cool-down' phases that prepare the listener’s ear for the training. Some classical music, such as the compositions of Mozart, Vivaldi, and Hayden, produces patterns of sound waves that are mathematically organized. When these frequencies are modified using filtering, inputting audio bursting, and incorporating spatial surround sounds and dynamics, the music stimulates the auditory cortex or 'drawers' in the brain in particular pre-determined ways. By systematically training the ear with varied frequencies using multiple auditory characteristics and backgrounds, the respective skills of the zone are improved, causing what is known as the Tomatis Effect . It is presumed that the Tomatis Effect results from either or both of the following:
- Retraining of the tiny muscles of the middle ear which, if functioning properly, enable the precise and harmonious integration of acoustic stimuli into the inner ear, from where it is then transmitted to the brain
- Stimulation and/or development of neural pathways in the auditory cortex, reconnecting it to other parts of the brain, thus allowing the brain to process auditory stimuli in a coordinated, synchronistic manner.
The beneficial effects of The Listening Program may be experienced shortly after beginning the program, and accrue over time; research has shown that the benefits continue to accrue even after you stop listening. The program provides a quality of music and auditory stimulation that is proven and unparalleled.
Dr, Alfred A. Tomatis
How do you use The Listening Program?
The beauty of The Listening Program is its ease of use. Your provider, Elize St. Charles, will recommend a customized listening schedule after a thorough evaluation. Then, listen just once or twice a day for 15 to 30 minutes, five days a week. Each listener participates for a minimum of 50 hours total, after which time a maintenance program may be specified.
Our office is located in Los Gatos, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you have questions concerning or wish to start The Listening Program, please contact Elize St. Charles by phone at 408.356.8987 or 408.499.6291 or email DocElize@thehealingatelier.com